Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Making Something Out of Left Over Veggies

I receive organic produce in a box every week, and I had potatos and cabbage left over, so I decided to make organic ground beef rolled in cabbage and chicken stock glazed potatos on the side.
I began the potato side dish by chopping up turkey bacon with butter and olive oil. (since it is turkey bacon and not pork, it renders little to no fat, so you need to use a little oil to prevent sticking on the pan)



Then I added
  • 1 medium diced yellow onion
  • 3 large cloves garlic

and sauteed until onion is tender and garlic fragrant


while the bacon, onion and garlic was cooking, I simmered the potatoes until hard, but soft enough to run a knife through, in chicken stock, thyme and peppercorn. ( it would have been nice if I had bayleaf to add to this mix, but I was out of it =(



Add the simmered potatos into the onion and bacon and add some of the chicken stock mixture into the pan to deglaze all the goodness.



Keep sauteeing until liquid starts to evaporate. (As you can see it in the picture below, it makes a streak when you scrape the bottom with a wooden spatula. This is good. This shows that potatos are getting glazed with all the flavor =)



Keep sauteeing until all the liquid has evaporated and potatos are nice and shiny.





This is me cooking in my SF home kitchen =)




Explanation of how I made the cabbage roll will be another blog. It came out delicious. Mmm mm!



I also made side salad with raw cauliflower, dried cranberries, raw mixed nutes and organic romain lettuce from the box. Packed with anti-oxidant, anti-cancer ingredients!


This is what the dinner looked like.
























No comments:

Post a Comment