Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year, New Food Blog

Since it is new year, I wanted to do something new and decided to do a food blog. I tend to get into different themes of food every now and then, and I am now really into whole food, low sugar diet.

Since I noticed I have been eating a lot of sugar, I decided to find a way to lower my sugar intake. I tried to do NO SUGAR diet, where I omitted baked goods and other foods that has refined sugars. But that ended in disaster after two days. I binged on carbs since I couldn't eat any sugar, and that did no good to me. So what I decided to do, is to come up with Asian inspired desserts that are nutritious and low in sugar. Since Asian desserts are usually lower in sugar, so I thought this might be the answer to my quest to eating less sugar.

So below is my very first low sugar Asian dessert creation:
Butternut Squash mochi with adzuki beans and soy powder.

I know it sounds really different, but trust me it is so good.


I started with roasting a butternut squash in 400 degree oven until very soft. Scrape it off from skin with fork and make it very mushy.


Add mochi powder until it is a little stiffer than your ear lobes. (is that a weird way to describe softness of a dough?)


I prepared the adzuki beans by soaking them in water for couple of hours and bring it to boil and then to simmer until soft, maybe about 1-2 hours.
And I Mashed it and added a little kosher salt and agave nectar. Mmm-mm! If you never had adzuki beans, you must try it! It is so good and good for you! It is great for weight management and aids with proper kidney function.


I prepared the soybean powder to coat the mochi with by mixing about 1/2c soybean powder and unrefined sugar. (I am so sorry, I forgot the name of this sugar. I got it from neighborhood health food store). Since the sugar is not refined, it still has minerals intact. =)


I put adzuki bean paste in middle of a flattened dough and wrapped it.


And voila! this is called "Odango" in japanese. Adzuki bean paste wrapped in mochi.

I boiled the odango in boiling water until it started to float on top. When it floats to the top, that means the mochi is cooked.
After I took it out of boiling water, I drained it and coat it with soybean powder mixture.

And there you go! A healthy and nutritious, asian inspired snack you don't feel guilty eating!


With left over adzuki bean paste, I made a quick snack by sprinkling left over kinako powder on top. YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment